[tpm] will a pre-built (for Solaris 10) perl distribution work on Solaris 8?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:39:10 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Stuart Watt <stuart at morungos.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking, "Good luck!"

Funny... thats exactly what I said to the guy who said we needed to support
some Solaris 8 boxes!

First off, surely Solaris 8 is dead by now? It can't still actually be
> supported?

Solaris 8 might be dead and not actively supported, but sadly that doesn't
stop people
from still having them in production.

... snip ...

> Finally, it just occurred to me that there might be an ActivePerl Solaris
> build old enough - I think there is (see:
> http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.10/install.html, which indicates
> a 5.10.x for Sparc, and should be good for 2.6+) but you need to pay to get
> it.

'pay for it!'  That's when people pipe up and say 'See... Perl is old and
unsupportable,
you should have used Java'.  And the fact that the box would have an
un-usable/old version
of Java would be lost on them too!

Indy's suggestion is the best/easiest to start with.
BTW Indy:  I haven't forgotten... I'm still trying to get approval to buy
your software.

Finally, perlbrew may be an answer too, but first I have to get access to
the box
so that I can work on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Fulko