[tpm] will a pre-built (for Solaris 10) perl distribution work on Solaris 8?

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Mon Jul 16 09:06:44 PDT 2012

I'm thinking, "Good luck!"

First off, surely Solaris 8 is dead by now? It can't still actually be supported? That's going to make things harder. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that a Solaris 10 binary will run on Solaris 8 - the likely blocker will be libc, which is almost always only forwards compatible. You'd be better building on a Solaris 8 (or earlier) box and deploying, or attempting to cross-compile. The first is going to be much the easiest option.

Cross-compiling is, allegedly, possible. See: http://perlcross.berlios.de/ for the Perl side, and http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~jparr090/crosscompile.shtml for info on how to get Linux to build versions of gcc for cross-compiling. Putting them together sounds possible, but won't be for the faint-hearted.

Finally, it just occurred to me that there might be an ActivePerl Solaris build old enough - I think there is (see: http://docs.activestate.com/activeperl/5.10/install.html, which indicates a 5.10.x for Sparc, and should be good for 2.6+) but you need to pay to get it.

All the best
Stuart