[tpm] [u-u] Return to the past. Re: Alarming Development

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 09:04:23 PDT 2008

Here's a page with a photo of a Lear Siegler ADM-3A:

  http://www.linuxsoft.ro/wiki/administrare/tutorial-vi?s=asa

I used one of those on my Co-op jobs and first graduate job. The
terminal opened up from the front, and inside was a massive (18" by
12") PCB with perhaps a hundred IC DIPs. 25 lines, 80 columns, and
bloody heavy.

Numeric keypad? Nope. Alt key? Nope.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>> Seriously there's been no "Return" key
>>> since terminals stopped having carriages.
>>
>> Macs have always had a Return key, and so did many glass TTYs, including
>> the Televideo models that I once used:
>> http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/tvi955kbd.gif
>
> Gosh... I remember those things, and Lear Siegler too...
> You had a return key!!! ... I had to use Control M and Control J...
> You had Control M and Control J, I had to use Baudot, they didn't have a
> control key...
> But at least Baudot had a shift key...

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario