[tpm] "Wide character in print" error

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Tue Sep 11 11:42:58 PDT 2007

Shaun Fryer wrote:
> Hi Madison,
>
> I'm not overly familiar with locale related issues. Plus the code you
> sent appeared in my email with all line endings stripped out. Anyway,
> I found this link which might prove of use to you. Seems to cover
> exactly what you're asking.
>
>     http://ahinea.com/en/tech/perl-unicode-struggle.html
>
> If you can resend the code (even off-list) with line endings in tact,
> I *might* be able to suggest something more specific.
>
> Good luck,

Thanks Shaun,

   It's probably because my email was itself encoded as UTF-8 that the
tail end was stripped. *sigh*. UTF-8 is hard stuff!

   Anywho, I just posted a followup. Drew (from TLUG) is in the same
office as me, and he helped me mash it all out and now it's okay,
*finally*! I had to tell DBI (which told perl??) that the data from the
database was already UTF-8 encoded so that the binmode STDOUT ":utf8"
didn't double-encode it with the connect option 'pg_enable_utf8 => 1'
command.

   If only UTF-8 was standard from day 1! Haha, I know...

Madi