[Tallahassee-pm] Soap presentation

Phillip Tyre phillip.tyre at fcul.com
Mon Nov 24 08:06:12 CST 2003

>From "Professional PHP Web Services"
	Re: UDDI

*
	Unlike normal search engines, the discovery layer is XML-based
and is exposed as a Web Service, which may also have a web interface as
operators currently do to make them easy for people to use. By using a
Web Service registry to look up other Web Services, software systems can
dynamically look up the description for a Web Service, download it, and
generate a client automatically at runtime.
*

Hehe, doesn't sound easy, but there you go!
Unfortunately a bit of looking turns up:
*
July 15, 2003 - A few years ago, when Web services were envisioned as
creating interconnected applications that spanned across businesses,
public Universal Description, Discovery and Integration (UDDI)
registries were seen as a tree on which to find the fruit-or external
Web services.

Now that Web services are used almost exclusively for internal
development and integration, not only has the hype surrounding the
public UDDI registries subsided, but the information in them hasn't
grown either.

"In general, the public registry is not seeing a lot of action," said
Jim Sweeney, director of product development at WAND Inc., which built a
third-party registry for IBM Corp.
*
http://www.sdtimes.com/news/082/special2.htm for the full article. I
rate it worth the read.

https://uddi.ibm.com/ubr/registry.html can get you to IBM's UDDI
registry, but you have to register for access.