[Tallahassee-pm] Soap presentation

James Tillman jptillman at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 07:53:13 CST 2003

Thanks, Phillip.  I especially appreciated the interaction and questions
that came up during the presentation.  It was nice for it to be a
give-and-take session, rather than just me running my mouth.

I forgot to point out something in the meeting: several sites provide
"web servicy" type interfaces.  Google and Oreilly's Meerkat are the
most famous:

http://www.google.com/apis/  (They use SOAP and WSDL. Very hip.)

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/rss/2000/05/09/meerkat_api.html  (The
coolest thing about Meerkat is its backend is written in Perl.  It's one
of the coolest news services on the net in my book)

Google is a search engine web service.  Meerkat is an RSS web service.
The neat thing about Meerkat is that it supports querystring-based
access (Attn: Mike!), XML-RPC, and SOAP access.  This allows you to use
it as a learning tool when you're learning Web Services. (hint, hint,
hint)  The Web Services in Perl book uses the Meerkat service for its
examples.  Pretty handy.

jpt