[Tallahassee-pm] Expert system.

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Thu Aug 28 10:27:48 CDT 2003

I very recently did a market scan for open source expert systems and came up
with a couple options, one of which was CLIPS. There was a Java-based
solution called JESS that was Java-based and looked real cool until I saw
the licensing issues with it (non-free for commercial use).  I don't really
know if JESS is open source, but licensable, or if it's a binary only
distro.  You have to check.  They do have a free download of it for academic
use.  You could "test drive" it I suppose.

Even with JESS it looks like you'd be building your own knowledge base.
FDLE is woefully behind on troubleshooting issues.  They use SupportMagic,
and by "use" I mean it in the most minimal sense of the word.  They've
really done very little to customize it beyond the out of the box install.
I wouldn't know if it supports expert systems functionality, but if it does,
they're not using it!

jpt