[Tallahassee-pm] So Big

Phillip Tyre phillip.tyre at fcul.com
Fri Aug 22 10:53:26 CDT 2003

I'm sure that most of you don't even have to stoop to the level of
dealing with email problems, but unfortunately, I do.  The number of
people with both blaster (still) and so big is just staggering.
SoBIG was never a problem for us, since we use an open source program
called MIMEDefang http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/ that sits in
front of our M$ Exchange servers, and strips a lot of bad things out
(like spam). I mention it here, since it's written in Perl.

They also have a nice little chart from their just checking environment:
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/mail-viruses.png This one looks
like it is going to get worse before it gets better, but maybe it will
make people actually install anti virus software. For us, the biggest
down side is all the lost bandwidth for the junk coming in before it
gets rejected.

I'm currently back in the programming saddle again, doing a little
updated online ordering/calendaring/user entry app. While on the surface
it looked really simple, it ended up with me pulling out and dusting off
my old SQL for Smarties book (Joe Celko) just so I could reason through
a few tough parts.

I'm itching for another PM meeting to be honest, so what does everyone
say about another get together soon?

Phillip Tyre