[Tallahassee-pm] Project for Perl Foundation proposal?

Tillman, James JamesTillman at fdle.state.fl.us
Wed Apr 30 07:24:46 CDT 2003

Here's an excerpt from my previous message:
***SNIP***
Talk mainly centered on projects that I've started in the past, but
which have fallen by the wayside due to lack of time and resources, but
which could be picked up and continued if we wished:

  * Guido:  http://guido.sf.net/
  * paix: http://sf.net/projects/paix/
  * CodeBank: http://codebank.sf.net/

But another idea for an implementation of Java's Ant for Perl came up,
as well.  I made it clear that my ideas should not be the only ones we
consider and that we should all put our thinking caps on.  We decided to
hash out our ideas on the mailing list and on the wiki, and vote later
on a couple to write proposals for.  I'll soon post the current list of
ideas on the wiki (unless someone beats me to it:  hint, hint, hint) Who
knows, we might get some actual funding to work on these great ideas!
***SNIP***

I hadn't intended on hyping my own stuff so much, but I did forget to
mention one other project I had going a while back called DBSchema:
http://sf.net/projects/dbschema/.  It's intended to be an RDBMS-independent
schema translator that would allow you to persist a DB schema
(tables/relations/foreign and primary keys) to an xml file and even move it
to an entirely different RDBMS (Oracle to Postgres, for example).  It
currently works with SQL Server and Oracle, but it needs a lot of work (and
postgres/mysql support!).

Scott Keller also proposed another idea that involved visually creating data
transformation pipelines that mapped data fields from one data set (RDBMS
data or XML or what-have-you) to another data set, with transforms in the
middle, if needed.  He mentioned having seen something similar in
Microsoft's BizTalk server.  It sounded neat.  Perhaps he'll speak up and
describe his thoughts in his own words?

Other ideas?  We should really bring the brainstorming to a close this week
and make a decision, or we'll might miss whatever deadline there is for the
Perl Foundation's application process (they don't have one posted, but you
know there's gotta be one).

jpt