SPUG: Knock Knock

Daniel Pommert dpommert at zipcon.net
Thu Jul 7 12:52:02 PDT 2016

I started using Perl around '91 after hearing many raves a year or two earlier from coworkers. I still use it regularly and have written several systems of over 10,000 lines, which would not have been reasonable without OO Perl. We have used Perl at my current team because we felt it was the fastest way to write the code.

I have been chastised from SPUG members and management for using Perl for more than a scripting language.  I agree that there are maddening things about the language that I wish weren't there, particularly involving support of stronger typed variables (better) and named procedure parameters (better). I wish I had access to better debugging tools (suggestions?) and that I would take the time to learn how to use a good Perl IDE (suggestions?)

I plan to port a lot of my applications and libraries to Java, which should be mostly straight forward. This would mainly be so that we could get better staff support, and to have my libraries available to our Web systems that happen to be written on Java.

So, I think Perl is a good language. Perl 6 is better, but seems to have lost steam. I may have to move to Python or all Java in the future, however.

-- Daniel Pommert