SPUG: need another list moderator

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Sat Sep 19 21:39:25 PDT 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> OK.  I'll bite.  Just where is the world's third largest fresh water
> lake without computers or networks?

The "without computer or networks" was not meant to be a qualifier for
third-largest-fresh-water-lake. Sadly, I flunked all my English classes.

Ryan Island on Isle Royale's Siskiwit Lake is the largest island on the
largest lake on the largest island on the largest freshwater lake (by
surface area) in the world.

I'm pretty sure I can find the largest lake on Ryan Island (even if I have
to pour my canteen of water out somewhere) and put a rock there and call
it the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the
largest lake on the largest island on the largest freshwater lake (by
surface area) in the world. Clearly, I have a mission. Like all of my top
secret missions, there will be no records of my travels or the many
adventures that comprise these missions. Well, other than wild,
exaggerated stories told over drinks.

By the way, I think it's the mosquitos and flies that will be doing the
majority of the byting. Uh, biting. Oh boy, we're in big trouble when the
insects start byting and talking about O(n). It'll be just like the wet,
misserable drive up the ALCAN on the way to Fairbanks in '86. That was the
year I witnessed a swarm of mosquitos carry away a large yellow school bus
full of children to never be heard from again.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.