SPUG: Perl CGI session authentication

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Fri Dec 12 01:05:53 PST 2008

Hi. I'm about to code the admin interface for this little music database
web app I'm working on. I need to decide how I want to handle the
authentication for the admin who logs in. In the past I've used .htaccess
files for httpd authentication, but I was thinking I would like to do
authentication with CGI this time. That is, sending the password over CGI,
then having a session ID generated, storing a session ID in a cookie, and that
sort of thing.

Is there any cool modules or packages which make that sort of thing fairly
easy? Most of it doesn't sound too hard... however, keeping track of the
sessions and session IDs sounds kind of complicated.

I didn't want anything real complicated... But I've seen Perl blog
software like Moveable Type, which stores the
password in a config file, and doesn't utilize .htaccess-style
authentication. (I'm trying to look through the Moveable Type code to see
how they do it, but their code is pretty complicated and I haven't even
figured out where to look yet.)

I've done a fair amount of googling, but I'm having trouble narrowing down
the search to what I'm looking for.

--
Christopher Howard
choward at indicium.us