SPUG: Future of SPUG?

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Thu Oct 20 07:39:44 PDT 2005

Fellow SPUGsters,

For the first time in its 8.5 year history, SPUG has skipped two
monthly technical meetings in a row. To put this statistic in
perspective, there was a time when SPUG averaged two technical
meetings /per month/!

It's a lot easier to keep a patient alive than it is to bring one
back from the dead, so before this patient dies altogether, it
would be prudent for interested parties to notice the disturbing
trends in its vital signs, and take corrective action.

When the previous SPUG leader retired (who was that guy?), there
was a lot of spirited talk about "one-man despotic leadership
regimes" being bad, and "committee-based leadership" and "voting"
being good, but as it happened, the leadership role ultimately
just sort of fell onto Andy's shoulders, leading to another one-
man leadership structure, which can place a heavy burden on that
individual.

I'm glad Andy was willing to take on the SPUGsponsibility, during
a difficult time when we didn't even have a regular meeting
space. But maybe Andy's shoulders are getting tired now, and
would like some help carrying the load?

Whatever's wrong with this patient, I think we should strive
to diagnose it quickly, and stabilize the vital signs ASAP,
before SPUG ends up dead--or even worse--in a persistent
vegetative state.

-Tim
| Tim Maher, PhD     (206) 781-UNIX      (866) DOC-PERL     (866) DOC-UNIX |
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  http://TeachMePerl.Com  http://TeachMeUnix.Com |
| CLASSES: Perl and CGI Programming, 11/14-18    UNIX Fundamentals: 12/6-9 |