SPUG: Calendar/scheduling system

Ron Pero spug at magnadev.com
Fri Mar 25 11:51:26 PST 2005

Since I asked the list about calendars/scheduling, thought I'd report
back with what I learned.

Thank you to Daniel Sabath and Tim Maher for your suggestions.

Daniel has looked some at calendars, and these were the most promising
so far.
http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php
http://www.washington.edu/ucal/
http://www.hula-project.org/Calendar_URLs (still in dev)

Tim told me that Fred Morris has a calendar "thingy".

Fred Morris does indeed have a calendar "thingy", and he emailed me a
description. Sounds pretty extensive, far more than a thingy.

Further research on the web taught me that while calendar applications
are abundant, scheduling apps are rare. Some people say their calendar
handles scheduling, when what they are really saying is that an admin
can post events/appointments, and this shows you your schedule. What I
was looking for was a way for someone, the public, to view a date which
lists open time slots, and then the person signs up for a particular
time.

I came across two scheduling programs that I liked.

I like the cleanness of this one best. Pricing is an issue, and perhaps
needing to install multiple copies. I emailed them for info but they
have not yet replied. It is in Perl.
http://www.uburst.com/uReserve/
This one, by the same company, is for teeing up at golf.
http://www.uburst.com/uGolf/demos.html

http://www.php.brickhost.com ScheduleIt is in php and is open source.
The demo is here:
http://www.php.brickhost.com/demo/
After logging in, select the first link on the left: Go to the Online
Scheduler

There are also hosted products, which I did not evaluate:
http://www.appointmentquest.com/ online scheduling $160/month for
multiple locations.
And others

As I mentioned in my original email, I needed to create a quick mockup.
However, the client, who is with a non-profit, woke up at 1:00 in the
morning with the realization that they can use their current online
accounting system to do their scheduling.

So, there. It was educational for me.

Thanks again,

Ron Pero