SPUG: Geocoding System

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Thu Mar 25 13:43:37 CST 2004

"Peter Darley" <pdarley at kinesis-cem.com> writes:

> Mark,
> 	I'm going to have to be getting lat/long for a database that will
> eventually have tens of thousands of locations in it, so doing it this way
> would be pretty abusive. :)

I know the USPS has a pay-to-play service, so abusive isn't really a
problem, it's a service they provide.  I'd bet it's pretty robust, but
it's also targeted to bulk mail for zip codes, so I'm not so sure
about the long/lat robustness, but as for batch processing of lots of
entries, they've been working on that process for years.

> 	As to free, I'm not against spending some money on this, as long as I end
> up with something I can use easily from Perl.

I'm glad to hear that free (as in speech) is more important than free
(as in beer). Sam Adams was good at the former, and I don't mind
paying for the later. :-)

Hey, perhaps that's what Perl needs for a PR campaign -- a good
homebrew with a Perl label to hilight the technology. :-)

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net