SPUG: Non OO Graphing Modules?

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Apr 6 10:58:15 CDT 2004

Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> writes:

> or has simple examples of plotting programs to share, I'd appreciate
> them.

MJD had a quiz of the week that simulated ice formation (Expert Quiz
#7, posted 2002-12-03). The solutions got creative by integrating a
graphic simulation.

Here's his write-up. It points to some interesting solutions.

They're some great simulations, worth the time to look at (even if
you're not Tim, trying to solve this particular problem), illustrating
a point that's been coming up a lot for me -- emergent behavior. There
are a few *simple* rules for how vapor, vacuum, and solid interact in
a closed system. These simple rules give rise to a seemingly more
complex pattern that could not have been predicted from the rules. See
my previous posting on "Emergence" by Steven Johnson -- it applies to
brains, cities, ants, open source software developers.... It's amazing
to me --

    think locally + act locally => global implications
    simple + simple => complex

Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net