SPUG: Giving up on computer jobs

Jay Gray jaygray at scn.org
Tue Jul 29 01:34:16 CDT 2003

This would be a very good subject for a wiki topic, since I've heard
Marc's advice a couple of times (he my neighbor, and it's hard to avoid
him), and it should be written down to a URL, so it's permanently
available.

My recommendations:
1) look at a Metro map -- where do all the buses run?
   Do not underestimate it's reach.

       I ride from the busstop in front of my house
       to the stop at my MSFT building (a 20 mile trip).

       Before that, 10 mins to Northgate Transit, and
       45 minutes to Bellevue Transit (by my skyscraper)

       Both jobs gave me transit passes.

2) You're in Bellevue
      You are close to Microsoft! They are predicting 5,000 hires
      this fiscal year (starting July).

      I specialized in software build. This is easy for companies
      to advertise, so I have an easy time searching. Again, sniper,
      not a shotgun approach. In spite of a poor search (long story),
      I found two jobs in 9 months.

      The first company was terrible, and I had to leave. But, my
      pal Creede (a former MSFT acquaintence from 4 years ago)
      landed a contract at MSFT as a builder, and he referred me to
      a good recruiter.

      In the three weeks I've been back at Microsoft, I found a social
      alias for my church (20 people), founded a social alias for
      former InfoSpace employees at MSFT (another 25), and wrote
      a list of 50 friends from the Windows group. I have 100
      contacts at Microsoft.

      I am not bragging, but letting you know my approach for moving
      from a contractor (current status) to a full-time employee.

Hope that helps (someone).

-- Jay