SPUG: Giving up on computer jobs

Shawn Wagner shawnw at speakeasy.org
Thu Jul 24 19:49:27 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 07:35:24AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 July 2003 19:04, Chris Turan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been searching for jobs for several months now.  I've given up on the
> > computer market and began looking for retail and restaurant jobs.  I've
> > found that many of those have been taken as well and the employers can
> > cherry pick who to hire.  Those jobs that aren't taken don't seem to want
> > to hire me because I've over-qualified and am afriad I'll just leave when
> > a good job turns up.
> >

> I'm having the opposite experience from you. I've got a great job, and there
> are open positions all around me in other companies.
>
> What are your skills/experience? Have you applied to Amazon? Have you tried
> the following companies:
>  - CarDomain Networks (cardomain.net)
>  - White Pages (now W3Data) (whitepages.com)
>
> I know they are both looking for perl developers.

There's a point a couple of us have reached, with the most recent paying
computer-related work on our resumes several years in the past, and the
current User Friendly storyline being all too familiar, where you wonder why
a company that's hiring would even bother with us when there's so many other
applicants. Results of job hunting tend to reinforce that attitude. It's not
any fun. My advice: Take something else you're interested in and work on
changing careers.

Enough depressing talk. Can we have more perl questions? :)

Hmm. *ponder ponder*

Does anyone actually use English to avoid the line-noise variables?

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw at speakeasy.org