SPUG: Using HTML as GUI

Asim Jalis asim at pair.com
Thu Jul 24 19:52:40 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 05:49:27PM -0700, Shawn Wagner wrote:
> Enough depressing talk. Can we have more perl questions? :)

I have written a small Perl application that does some number
crunching and it's a command line utility. Command line tools
look awful on Windows. So I was thinking of prettying it up with
a GUI. The simplest thing here seemed to put it into the
c:\inetpub\scripts directory, wrap some HTML around it and then
run it as a localhost CGI script (through IIS). This works well
since HTML is Perl's GUI.

Here's the problem in this happy story. What if the machine does
not have IIS? How do I run this as a localhost CGI script in that
case? Are there tiny web servers that can be configured to just
run a single (Perl) program? I want to keep the machine secure,
and at the same time use a local web server as a cheap way to get
a GUI.

Any ideas? Also are there any issues I should be aware of that I
am not thinking about?

Asim