SPUG:Question from Damian's talk on embedded code in regex

Jay Gray jaygray at scn.org
Sun Jan 19 01:21:16 CST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Chris Wilkes wrote:

> Having not looked into embedding code into regex before Damian's talk on
> Thursday I tried poking around and looking for docs on it, mainly
> going off of perlretut's perldoc page.

If you are very interested, there is an O'Reilly book, "Mastering
Regular Expressions, second edition" by Jeffrey E. F. Friedl the owl
book). "Programming Perl, third edition" devotes a section (5.10) to regex
tricks like m/?{CODE}/. It is important with both books to have the latest
editions, as the Owl book 1st ed and Camel book 2nd ed. are both notably
out of date.

I searched Google for this (quotes included):
    Perl regex "embedded code"

    ( http://www.google.com/search?q=Perl+regex+%22embedded+code%22 )

It pops up RFC 348, parrot (perl 6-related), and the Owl book on page 1 of
the results.

-- Jay Gray