SPUG:Re: Korn Shell vs. PD-ksh

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Mon Feb 3 04:26:20 CST 2003

I was one of the (relatively) early adopters of UWin (ksh for Windows) back
in 98 and have been using in heavily since then.  (I couldn't have survived
Microsoft without it. :-] )  It's been stable for some time, with these
caveats:

Some of the network-oriented commands don't work well or at all (telnet and
ftp are fine).  Not surprising, since Windows network architecture doesn't
map
to Unix network architecture.

Some of your favorite command option flags may be missing or not work as you
expect (a problem on all Unices).

Running a big, complex ksh script may fail due to memory leaks in the
Windows libraries that UWin uses.  (But we are all using Perl for anything
longer than 50-100 lines, right?)

I recommend UWin highly.  UWin works on post-95 Windows (Win98, Win2K,
WinXP, etc.)  The installation procedure is a bit odd, but it works.  If you
want
the text man pages, be sure to install the groff package.

Richard Anderson
richard at richard-anderson.org
www.richard-anderson.org
inm4taw