SPUG: Happy Birthday to SPUG!

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Sat Mar 17 14:25:37 CST 2001

SPUGsters,

Just a quick note to commemorate the fact that this group was born
3 years ago today, at a meeting at a community center in Ballard.
While contemplating my
life atop a smoke-spewing volcano in Java, Indonesia a few weeks
earlier, I had resolved to try to establish a local community
to support those using this fantastic language.  I wasn't sure
if anybody would show up to that inaugural meeting, but as it
happened, about two dozen gave up their inalienable rights as
Americans to drink Green Beer and attended this meeting instead
(or perhaps before!).  There are hundreds of Perl groups now, but
at the time, SPUG was only the sixth ever formed.  (Incidentally,
this is why we've retained the SPUG moniker, despite the fact
that later groups came to be know by "Perl Monger" appellations.)

Thanks to all those who've participated in making SPUG a success!
(Actually, by all accounts, we're the MOST successful and
productive Perl group on the planet.)  In particular, please join
me in thanking Winstar Northwest Nexus, our web-page sponsor,
the folks at N2H2, especially Andy Sweger, who provide our meeting
space, and of course Damian Conway ("The Damian"), who frequently
ventures halfway across the globe to inspire and terrify us with
his strangely deranged yet magical Perl musings.

For those of you who are interested in contributing to the group,
there are many ways to do so.  We are always looking for speakers
for upcoming meetings who can teach us something about the
Perl language or describe interesting Perl applications they've
discovered or written, so if you'd like to make a presentation,
get in touch with me.  I'm also looking for volunteers to help
with other tasks, like recruiting speakers, maintaining the web
page, coordinating job-ads, setting up additional internet-based
services, coordinating joint software development activities, etc.

This is our group, and we can do whatever we want with it, so if
anybody has suggestions about improvements, especially if you're
willing to help implement them, let me know!

Happy SPUG-Patrick's Day!

|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.           Tel: (206) 781-UNIX        |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader      Email: spug at halcyon.com    |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group   HTTP: www.halcyon.com/spug |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org