SPUG: want to call Perl functions from VB

Showell30 at aol.com Showell30 at aol.com
Sun Jun 17 20:56:29 CDT 2001

Hello.  I wonder if anyone has experience making VB and Perl interoperate.
Here is what I need to do:

       1. User starts up VB program which contains a tree-view widget.
       2. VB program starts up Perl program that parses an HTML document with
HTML::TreeBuilder.
       3. Perl program then goes into some sort of event loop.
       4. When the user moves around in VB's tree-view widget, VB calls into
Perl code to get the HTML for that part of the document.  The interface would
be relatively simple; it could be string in, string out, four or five
function calls.

My best solution right now would be to do this with sockets, but I am
interested in alternatives.

(I know I could do the client in Perl/TK, but I'm interested in learning
about the interoperability of the two languages.)

Thanks,

Steve