SPUG: [OT] How to get project list in CVS?

Andrew Sweger andy at n2h2.com
Mon Jul 31 01:47:42 CDT 2000

On Jul 28, 2000 @ 11:22am, Andrew Chen wrote:

> How do I get a list of projects in CVS? After skimming through some CVS
> documentation, I looked at VCS::CVS hoping that it would have an easy to
> use interface for this operation, but there isn't. I asked around the
> office about getting a list of projects from CVS, but no one seemed to
> know.
> The repository is on a different machine, and I'd rather not hack it by
> doing something too weird, but I guess if that's the only way...

Well, this sorta depends on how you access the respository on the remote
machine. If you are using a local cvs binary via one of the typical
pserver/rsh/ssh, you can get a list of the published modules with:

$ cvs -d <repository> checkout -c

$ cvs -d <repository> checkout -s

The second one is only useful in those cases where folks populate the
CVSROOT/modules file using the -s option (the little documented status
field). Of course, if the CVSROOT/modules file is not being kept up to
date, then this is all pointless and you'll have to do something weird,
like using 'ls' on the repository directory (shudder).

 Andrew Sweger <andy at n2h2.com>   |  N2H2, Incorporated
 Systems Architect               |  900 Fourth Avenue, Suite 3400
 Advanced Technologies Division  |  Seattle WA 98164-1059
 v=206.336.2947  f=206.336.1541  |  http://www.n2h2.com/

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org