SPUG: Editor for perl on Win98

Ben Burnett benwa at ocentrix.com
Wed Apr 12 11:59:59 CDT 2000

Hey Mat,

Oh man asking for opinions on text editors!  Here comes another holy
war.  I agree with both Doug and Peter on the text editor.  If you are used
to Emacs I'd try it for win32.  I'm windows native and working my way to
getting better at vim and Emacs, so I usually use UltraEdit
(www.ultraedit.com). Because it does all the stuff you're looking for, and
lets me open files via ftp from my Linux box. It will run the scripts for
you if you adjust some of the advanced configuration. And add Perl32 as a
"tool" for UltraEdit to use. I did that and it works fine.  It even opens a
window that allows you to view the output of the script in the editor,
because Perl32 usually closes the dos window right after the script
terminates and you miss out on any error messages. ( No I don't work for
UltraEdit I just like the editor : )

At 08:05 AM 04/12/2000 -0700, Mathew Watson wrote:

>I put together some perl code on a linux system using Emacs and vi.
>Now I want to play with it on Win 98, but I dislike any of the MS
>editors. Which editor should I use if I want
>- auto indenting based on syntax,
>- syntax based color highlighting,
>- not too demanding on the OS (Win 98 makes me nervous), and
>- free or low cost (like $20 or something).
>Besides those features it would be nice if it
>- also runs on Linux
>- also handles C gracefully, and
>- can run perl code in a separate window (and debug it).
>
>Related to my editor question ... I installed perl on the 98 box and
>any *.pl file has a little icon associated with it. Whenever I double
>click on such an icon, an MSDOS window flashes by. What I really want
>is to have the text editor open the file so I can read it. How do I
>accomplish that without breaking my ability to run perl from an
>editor or MSDOS window? Right now if I go to 'File Types' theres a
>command associated with 'open', C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe "%1" %*. Can I
>just replace the executable name?

  When you install Ultraedit it adds a little entry to the windows context
menu that lets you right click on just about any file, and open it in
UltraEdit, so you don't have to change the file associations. If you just
want to use notepad and not get caught up in learning a whole slew of
editor commands I would just add another action for the .pl files under
file types and call it Edit. Just point this action at your editor and
you're set.