SPUG: Re: Editor for perl on Win98

Sean Owens seanow0 at email.msn.com
Wed Apr 12 11:12:50 CDT 2000

I like VI for Windows (also called gvim.exe).  It will color code most
anything (including perl & C), it's free, you can set up auto indents (and
line numbering, which for me is a must).  It'll also do just about anything
you ask, if you know how to ask! (I pretty much just use the mouse & menu
functions though, not a true VI user I know, but it does what I need).
There are also tons of options you can set to make it more windows-like, or
more unix-like.

It also allows you to run your file directly in a command window, but I
don't really use that so I don't know much about it.

It's tough to use sometimes, which probably isn't surprising since there are
books written just to teach you how to use it (unlike say, notepad :-)

And, of course, there's versions of VI for all OS's

You can find it here:
www.vim.org  You have to click around to find a mirror site that actually
carries the windows binaries.  Read the readme's there, but remember you
have to download two files (one is the executable, the other is all the
other stuff that makes it functional).

Hope this helps.