[sf-perl] Let a thousand flowers bloom

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Apr 3 12:44:03 PDT 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Quinn Weaver wrote:

> > > I would like to depart from the topic long enough to recognize that
> > > the above statement is damn funny and shout be recognized.
> >
> > I have to say I cringed a little when I read it, because it helps
> > reinforce the idea that there's a sort of Perl Hierarchy, or that
> > there are Perl Gods, or that "you must be this tall to ride".
>
> Hi, Andy,
>
> Great post.  About the Capulet/Montague thing, I was actually trying
> to poke fun at the idea of Perl Gods, not reinforce it.  I've always
> found the more famous Perl people to be very approachable, friendly,
> and egalitarian.  (Part of the fun of running this group is meeting
> and socializing with them.)  This includes Andy, Randal, MJD, Chip
> Salzenberg, Paul Lindner, Doug M., and Larry Wall himself, and
> probably others I'm forgetting (my apologies!)  One of the great
> things about the Perl community is that it's laid-back and not
> hoity-toity.
>
> So, yeah... there are no gods, only heroes.  And anyone can become
> a hero.  And even heroes are just regular people.

I don't suppose we should propose that as an alternative to Perl Gods, there
should at least be Perl Saints:

http://www.stallman.org/saint.html

Of course, I'm not sure what being a Perl saint would imply. Using nothing but
Perl? (Including not C in which perl 5 is written?)

Oh well.

Not that I mind the Perl Gods stereotype stuff.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish (a Perl saint^W hero wannabe, but definitely not a Perl God)

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il