[sf-perl] Let a thousand flowers bloom

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Thu Apr 3 12:19:40 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:32:33PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Duane Obrien wrote:
> >> Holy crap!  Andy Lester and Randal Schwartz are duking it out on our
> >> list.  I feel like a spectator who turns up in the town square to
> >> find
> >> Lords Montague and Capulet going at it.
> >
> > I would like to depart from the topic long enough to recognize that
> > the above statement is damn funny and shout be recognized.
>

> I have to say I cringed a little when I read it, because it helps
> reinforce the idea that there's a sort of Perl Hierarchy, or that
> there are Perl Gods, or that "you must be this tall to ride".

Hi, Andy,

Great post.  About the Capulet/Montague thing, I was actually trying
to poke fun at the idea of Perl Gods, not reinforce it.  I've always
found the more famous Perl people to be very approachable, friendly,
and egalitarian.  (Part of the fun of running this group is meeting
and socializing with them.)  This includes Andy, Randal, MJD, Chip
Salzenberg, Paul Lindner, Doug M., and Larry Wall himself, and
probably others I'm forgetting (my apologies!)  One of the great
things about the Perl community is that it's laid-back and not
hoity-toity.

So, yeah... there are no gods, only heroes.  And anyone can become
a hero.  And even heroes are just regular people.

Rock on,

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/