[sf-perl] Bug management / time management

James Briggs james at actionmessage.com
Mon May 7 19:35:46 PDT 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007 18:55:31 -0700, Vicki Brown wrote
> Do you feel that you do a good job at bug management?
> (presuming you have a regular bug queue).
>
> If so, do you care to share any tips, tricks, hints, or methods that
> you find work well?
>
> The people in my work team are drowning. They're an Operations
> Support team so they don't tend to get crashing program error bugs;
> they get please do this task bugs and usually, the reporter set the priority.
>
> When you're staring at a dozen, 50, 100 or more bugs, how do you tackle
> them? How do _you_ prioritize what to work on when the bug already
> has a Priority field that may not relate to your personal workflow
> or task list?
> (e.g. there has to be some way to prioritize the work on 15 P2 bugs
> :-(
>
>  I'm looking for suggested _successful_ time & bug management tips
> to help them cope. I've never, personally, had a bug queue with 50-
> 200 bugs in it so this is outside my realm of personal experience.
>
> We use Bugzilla if that makes things easier... or more difficult.
> --
> - Vicki

If you want a magic bullet, I doubt if there is one.

Most companies/departments use a project manager (or somebody
acting in that capacity) to schedule work based on client and
developer input.

PMs with some software experience are usually more successful
than those without.

Thanks,
James Briggs