[sf-perl] LinuxWorld Expo - Demo

Brian Hamlin bh1 at light42.com
Mon Aug 6 19:19:18 PDT 2007

another twist on the SF Expo: Josh and I were at the booth this
afternoon, moving over a nifty demo app I wrote at a contest at MIT
last January, that uses Postgres, Perl and the Google Maps API in the
browser.

Funny thing was.. it worked fine on my machine  ;-)
--
DBD::Pg can't read from Postgres while executing as a CGI
yet from the command line, DBD::Pg can read just fine!! vexing!

This is on a Macintosh OS X. The Apache is pre-installed, and runs
as user hmmm, someone might know.

When we installed DBD::Pg, the configure magically 'found' that Postgres
was actually installed in a local directory of the current (admin)
user, not in /usr/local
So the DBD:Pg test ran fine, and generally can access a running
database fine..

its just when the same code runs as a CGI, access fails.. Josh changed
access
to a library (libpq ?), but that alone did not fix it..

Suggestions welcome - time is of the essence :-)

   -Brian