[San-Diego-pm] Meeting Review, 2007-05-14

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Tue May 15 15:45:55 PDT 2007

The fine folks of SanDiego.pm enjoyed their May social gathering on
Monday, May 14 at their usual meeting place.  Our little group is really
starting to outgrow Panera Bread.  So far, every meeting in 2007 has
been popular enough to make seating challenging and hearing discussions
difficult (or maybe that part is just me).

Attendees (in a randomly-selected order[0]):
    Cathy[1]
    Al
    Emil
    Brian
    Chris (that's me!)
    Tim
    Joel
    Dan
    Brad
    Bob
    Urivan
    George

I will be attending OSCON again this year.  Prior to registering for the
tutorial sessions, I opened up the decision to input from the group.
This ended up being a good idea, as the input I received let me pick my
final choices.  These are,

    Advanced VIM Scripting, Damian Conway
    Pro PostgreSQL, Robert Treat
    Technical Management of Software Development, Alex Martelli
    Simple Ways To Be a Better Programmer, Michael G. Schwern

As with anything, these are subject to change.

Brad is doing some 3D image rendering and wanted to know if there exists
a good 3D imaging package for Perl.  Something like OpenGL, but not
quite as low-level.  Suggestions included Ogre and SDL.  Brad will be
looking into these and will hopefully report his results to the group.

Al asked if anyone was using a web framework and what their opinion of
it was.  Emil is using Django (boo! hiss!) and really likes how simple
it is to set up and use.

Bob reminded us that a note had been sent to our list last month asking
for input on hosting YAPC::NA in Los Angeles.  A wiki has been set up by
our friends at LA.pm, <http://www.socialtext.net/yapc>.

Urivan has been developing a pretty neat server administration package,
VAdmind,
<http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/san-diego-pm/2007-April/001797.html>, and
had a question about the best way to go about posting it to CPAN.  I
said I'd follow up with him with some information about Module::Starter
and CPAN's PAUSE service (and I have).

Bob, our fearless leader, reminded us that he can get review copies of
books from O'Reilly if anyone is interested.  I would be interested, but
I still have a stack of books from the local Linux user group that need
reviewing.  If anyone else is interested, please let Bob know.

Speaking of our fearless leader, he was mentioned in the release notes
of the latest version of Perl::Tidy,
<http://search.cpan.org/src/SHANCOCK/Perl-Tidy-20070508/CHANGES>:

    -Updated docs to remove extra < and >= from list of tokens
    after which breaks are made by default.  Thanks to Bob Kleemann.

Yay Bob!

I've created a couple of IRC channels, #SanDiego.pm on both Freenode and
irc.perl.org.  At the moment it's very lonely.  If you're so inclined,
drop in and say hi.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 11, 2007, 7pm, at Panera
Bread in Mira Mesa.  Unfortunately, I learned today that I'll be in
Canada that week, but hopefully I will be able to attend remotely via
the aforementioned IRC channels.

Until next time, happy Perling.

[0] perl -le 'print for map {$_->[0]} sort {$a->[1]<=>$b->[1]} map \
{[$_,rand ]} qw(Al Bob Brad Brian Cathy Chris Dan Emil George Joel Tim \
Urivan)'

[1] Or is it Kathy?  Google tells me Kathy is more popular, but I want
to say Cathy.

--
Chris Grau