[San-Diego-pm] Perl Meeting on Monday, May 9th

Bob Kleemann rkleeman at energoncube.net
Tue May 10 14:55:25 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 02:12:57PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Menolly> MySQL 4.0.22; no subqueries.
>
> In other words, not a real database, but a sort of a "structured file
> storage system that understands some subset of modern SQL".

Oh boy, it's starting to get hot around here, and I don't think it has
anything to do with summer....

> PostgreSQL.  The only thing I recommend these days.  Unless they can
> get by with DBD::SQLite (still preferred over MYSQL), or can afford
> Oracle.

Not that a good flame war isn't fun and all, but why is there so much
religion on this topic?  Pretty much every article that I've found on
the topic boils down to "weigh the differences and run whatever works
best for your situation".  Why don't you subscribe to this philosophy?