four-argument version of select

C. Abney cabney at cyberpass.net
Mon Jun 12 15:36:02 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, John R. Comeau wrote:

> It seemed like 'select' was a direct way of doing what I wanted.  It
> says that it's use determine whether your file descriptors are ready
> for I/O.  The reason I used 'vec' is just because that's what they do
> in the example in Camel.

select in the example given (it looks like a similar one to what's
in the perldocs -- I don't have the Camel book so I'm guessing) is
bound to STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR, not to a descriptor opened with a system
call.  That's why no special structures are needed to catch a signal.
select should work fine with your FIFO if you treat it as open was in
that example I gave.

just use: select (FIFO, undef, undef, 4.0).

If you want to be more direct, use IO::Socket (it has a io_socket_timeout
variable).

Cheers,

CA
--
Einstein himself said that God doesn't roll dice. But he was wrong. And
in fact, anyone who has played role-playing games knows that God

~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org