[roch-pm] Perl.com: Installing mod_perl (fwd)

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Thu Apr 11 14:05:33 CDT 2002

                  Perl.com update

Oracle Technology Network will bring you to the top of your game
in applications development technology. Download the latest
development programs and sample code. Membership -- and the latest
development software -- is free. Jumpstart your development on
Oracle9i. Register for a FREE CD sampler. Oracle Technology Network.
All you need to know.  http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/perl/04/17/mid

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Not much news this week, but what we've got is important, so please
listen up!

For users of SOAP::Lite: A security hole was found in this module
which allows attackers to execute any Perl subroutine on the remote
server.  Yes, this is remote shell access. If you're using
SOAP::Lite, I'd begin by taking down your server, and then taking
a look at the SOAP-Lite mailing list.

Randy Ray, author of RPC::XML, has said he's "pretty certain" that
his module isn't vulnerable to this, and worries that Frontier::RPC
may be.

Here's the exploit from Phrack:

    http://www.phrack.com/show.php?p=58&a=9

http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/09/000212&mode=thread&tid=5&threshold=-1
    http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=SOAP-Lite

* What's new on www.perl.com?

This week, we continue our mod_perl series by Stas Bekman, with a
piece on how to install Apache with mod_perl if we don't have root
access on a given server. This is particularly useful for developers
testing out mod_perl tools and modules, but proves to be interesting
reading for all mod_perl users.

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html

Enjoy!

SC

Award-Winning ColdFusion 5: High-Performance and Simplified Management

Increase productivity, simplify management, and enhance application
performance with Macromedia ColdFusion 5. Build content publishing
systems and self-service apps fast. FREE TRIAL. FREE SEMINARS.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/cf/1

*** Featured Articles ***

Installing mod_perl Without Superuser Privileges
In his continuing series on mod_perl, Stas Bekman explains how to
install a mod_perl-ized Apache on a server even if you don't have
root privileges.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html

***

Exegesis 4
What does the fourth Apocalypse really mean to you? A4 explained
what control structures would look like in Perl 6; Damian Conway
expands on those ideas and presents a complete view of the Perl 6
control-flow mechanism.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/01/exegesis4.html

***

Apocalypse 4: All About Blocks
In his latest article explaining the design of Perl 6, Larry Wall
tackles the syntax of the language.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/01/15/apo4.html

***

CPANPLUS
For many years the CPAN.pm module has helped people install Perl
modules. But it's also been clunky, fragile, and amazingly difficult
to use programmatically. Jos Boumans introduces CPANPLUS, his
project to change all that.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/26/cpanplus.html

***

mod_perl in 30 Minutes
Stas Bekman shows us how to install and configure mod_perl, plus
how to start accelerating CGI scripts with Apache::Registry.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/22/modperl.html

The 4th O'Reilly Open Source Convention, July 22-26, 2002
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina
>From the Frontier of Research, to the Heart of the Enterprise

Celebrate the Success of Open Source Software! Keynotes Jim Kent,
Ewan Birney, Larry Lessig, and, from the Free Software Movement,
Richard Stallman:  http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/