[roch-pm] [Fwd: Perl.com: Dynamic Pages Inside of AxKit]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Wed Apr 17 22:20:33 CDT 2002

        		  Perl.com update

Oracle Technology Network will bring you to the top of your game
in applications development technology. Download the latest
development programs and sample code. Membership - and the latest
development software - is free. Jumpstart your development on
Oracle9i. Register for a FREE CD sampler. Oracle Technology Network.
All you need to know.  http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/perl/04/17/mid

Hello, world! This is Simon Cozens, www.perl.com managing editor,
bringing you the latest goings on from the world of Perl and our
own site.

* Perl at large.

Last week's problems with SOAP::Lite have been cured by the latest
release, 0.55. If you're running anything less, you need to upgrade.
In other SOAP news, Google have released an API to their search
engine.  You need to register to get a key for non-commercial use.

     http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=SOAP-Lite
     http://www.phrack.com/show.php?p=58&a=9
     http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=SOAP-Lite
     http://www.google.com/apis/

Speaking of new releases, Parrot 0.0.5 is out. This fixes a
shedload of bugs in the garbage collection code, and much
improved aggregate support, as well as the usual plethora of
enhancements.

http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/17/1337255&mode=nocomment&tid=33
     http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/J/JG/JGOFF/parrot-0.0.5.tar.gz

And finally, a Unix desktop environment written in Perl? Oh yes.

     http://www.perlbox.org/

* What's new on www.perl.com?

This week's article is another in our series from Barrie Slaymaker
on using the AxKit XML application server. This time, we look at
how we can extend AxKit using our own XML tags backed up with
logic in Perl. XSP (Extensible Server Pages) is a way of having
XML tags fire off procedures in Perl and other languages, and
insert the results into the XML document. Barrie teaches us how
to write our own tag libraries (taglibs) in Perl and have AxKit
process them into our output.

     http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/16/axkit.html

Enjoy!

SC

Free ColdFusion 5 Trial and Seminars Lets You Build Advanced Sites Fast

Macromedia ColdFusion 5 - the fastest way to build and deploy powerful
Web apps - empowers you to increase productivity, simplify management,
and enhance application performance. FREE TRIAL AND FREE SEMINARS.
http://www.oreillynet.com/nlr/macromedia/cf/2

*** Featured Articles ***

XSP, Taglibs and Pipelines
In this month's AxKit article, Barrie explains what a "taglib" is,
and how to use them to create dynamic pages inside of AxKit.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/16/axkit.html

***

Perl and XML on the Command Line
In this month's Perl and XML column, Kip Hampton explores how the
desperate Perl hacker can use its XML tools on the command line.

http://xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/17/perl-xml.html

***

Installing mod_perl without superuser privileges
In his continuing series on mod_perl, Stas Bekman explains how to
install a mod_perl-ized Apache on a server even if you don't have
root privileges.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html

***

Exegesis 4
What does the fourth apocalypse really mean to you? A4 explained
what control structures would look like in Perl 6; Damian Conway
expands on those ideas and presents a complete view of the Perl 6
control flow mechanism.

http://perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/01/exegesis4.html

***

CPAN PLUS
For many years the CPAN.pm module has helped people install Perl
modules. But it's also been clunky, fragile and amazingly difficult
to use programmatically. Jos Boumans introduces CPANPLUS, his
project to change all that.

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/03/26/cpanplus.html

New Report from O'Reilly Research:  Planning for Web Services

Planning for Web Services is a new report from O'Reilly Research
by industry visionary Clay Shirky. This report guides CTOs and CIOs
through the inflated claims, competing standards, and amalgam of
acronyms to arrive at a realistic appraisal of the business impact
of Web Services. $495  Save $100! Use or mention code wsrojen
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wsrep/