[roch-pm] [Fwd: www.perl.com: YAPC::Europe]

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Sat Oct 7 02:40:37 CDT 2000

-------- Original Message --------
From: "www.perl.com update" <onperl at lists.oreillynet.com>
Subject: www.perl.com: YAPC::Europe
To: <perl-update at pepper.oreillynet.com>

         www.perl.com update

WANTED: PERL GURUS! UNIX/C/C++/Apache a must.
Join dynamic development team at WorldWinner.com.  Venture
funded, pre-IPO in Newton, MA, on it’s way to becoming the
leading destination for adults to compete in games of skill for cash
prizes.  Great benefits, fun work environment, lots of free food and
pre-IPO stock options.  Interested? email: jobs at worldwinner.com

Hello, perl.com subscribers.

The Perl 6 RFC process has mostly come to a close, having
produced 361 RFCs of widely varying quality.  Only a few of the
working groups, such as the licensing group and the documentation
group, are continuing to consider new proposals.  The RFC-ing for
the language design is finished.  Now Larry is going to look over
the RFCs and produce a language design.  We'll try to carry news
about that as soon as it becomes available, probably in two weeks.

Wired magazine this month has a long article be Steve Silberman about
the Perl cruise that went on this summer.  The article isn't
available online yet (we will post an announcement on the site if it
becomes available) but you might want to have a look at the paper
version.  I only read it briefly in the store but I liked it.  There
were many details about Perl, geeks, Perl geeks, and what happened
on the cruise.  Steve's a good writer.  There was one sentence in
particular that struck me, about how down on the stateroom deck of
the ship the seemingly infinite corridor of doors fades off into the
distance.  It was very poetic.  Steve put it better than I did, of
course.

WHAT'S NEW ON THE SITE?

This week we have a report from Mark Summerfield about what happened
to him at YAPC::Europe, which took place in London the weekend before
last.  We also have a short article by Walt Mankowski about how Perl
helped him win the office football pool.  If you missed Walt's talk in
Pittsburgh this year, here's your chance to get the details.

Coming up, we will have the first in a series of articles from Simon
Cozens about using Perl to program Gnome applications.

Thank you all.  I will be in touch again next week.

Mark Dominus
Managing Editor

***

Perl Conference: Report from YAPC::Europe
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/10/yapc-europe.html?wwwrrr_20001003.txt
Mark Summerfield tells us what he saw at YAPC::Europe in London
last weekend.

How Perl Helped Me Win the Office Football Pool
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/10/footpool.html?wwwrrr_20001003.txt
Walt Mankowski shows us how he used Perl to make a few extra
bucks at the office.

Profiles: Ilya Regularly Expresses
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/09/ilya.html?wwwrrr_20001003.txt
Ilya Zakharevich, a major contributor to Perl 5,  talks about
Perl 6 effort, why he thinks that Perl is not well-suited for
text manipulation, and what changes would make it better;
whether the Russian education system is effective; and whether
Perl 6 is a good idea.

Article: Sapphire
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/09/sapphire.html?wwwrrr_20001003.txt
Can one person rewrite Perl from scratch?

Guide to the Perl 6 Working Groups
http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/09/perl6mail.html?wwwrrr_20001003.txt
Perl 6 discussion and planning are continuing at a furious rate
and will probably continue to do so, at least until next month
when Larry announces the shape of Perl 6 at the Linux Expo. In
the meantime, here's a summary of the main Perl 6 working groups
and discussion lists, along with an explanation of what the
groups are about.

         Sister Sites:
---------------------------------
O'Reilly Network
http://www.oreillynet.com
The Source for Open and Emerging Technologies

XML.com
http://xml.com/
XML from the inside out.

O'Reilly and Associates
http://www.oreilly.com/
O'Reilly computer books, software and online publishing.

address at which you receive this message

For non-automated human help email onperl at oreillynet.com