[roch-pm] Meeting notes from Sept 27 meeting

Brian Mathis bmathis at directedge.com
Fri Oct 6 16:08:35 CDT 2000

September 27, 2000
------------------
In attendance:
	- Jonathan Tomer
	- Tony Whyte
	- Brian Mathis

The meeting was held at the University of Rochester, in the Computer
Studies Building.  Thanks to Jonathan for securing a very nice room for us
to use.  The room had a big conference table, plenty of seating, and both
black & white boards.  This is a very nice room to hold meetings in.

Topics of Discussion:
---------------------
- We spent some time going over our jobs and skills, and what we've been up
to lately in the technology world.

- Talked a little bit about the recent Digital Rochester
(http://www.digitalrochester.com/ ) parties that have been going on, and
what we can do as a group to raise awareness at them.

- Topics for meetings:  Now that we have a good room to meet in, we can get
back into the technical presentations, etc, at the meetings.  We talked
about a few ideas (which are listed here:
http://rochester.pm.org/meetings.html).  At the next meeting, Jonathan will
be giving a talk, "Introduction to Apache's mod_perl", something almost all
web people should know about.

- Review Copies of Books:  O'Reilly is a major sponsor of Perl Mongers, and
offers "review copies" to groups for free.  They only ask for a review of
the book in return.  At this meeting, we had a copy of "CGI Programming
with Perl".  Tony Whyte decided to do a review of it and will present it at
the next meeting.  The "CGI Programming with Perl" book will be available
for other members to view and take for a review.
We can request pretty much any book that ORA publishes as a review copy.
If there are any books you'd like to take a look at, send your request to
me (Brian Mathis), and I'll put in the request. (Note: I'm the ORA contact,
so requests must go through me)

- New web site: Brought in some prints of the new web site, got some
feedback.  I incorporated feedback into the site.  If anyone else has any
suggestions for thing, just let me know.

- Mailing list archive:  There are a few services that perform mailing list
archiving.  We decided this would be a decent thing to have.  Brian will
look into it.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

- O'Reilly: ORA sent me some new catalogs, I passed them out to anyone who
wanted them.  Also, as a reminder, ORA gives all members of Perl Mongers a
20% discount on books that you order from their web site.  I have some
flyers that talk about this, which I usually have at the meetings.

Next Meeting: October 18, 2000:
- Review of "CGI Programming with Perl" by Tony Whyte
- A review copy of "Programming Perl, 3rd edition" will be available (the
Camel Book)
- "Introduction to Apache's mod_perl", by Jonathan Tomer

--
Brian Mathis
Direct Edge