Fw: Bruce Perens speaking in Colorado

Tim Chambers timc+perl at divide.net
Mon Sep 29 18:15:01 CDT 2003

------- Meeting Announcement ----
Greetings.

I'm giddy to announce that Bruce Perens, noted Linux and Open Source leader,
contributor, and advocate will give the a presentation entitled "The Future
of GNU/Linux and Free Software".  He describes it:

"I will talk about some of the issues confronting us (Linux Users) -
software
patents, trusted systems, competitive and technical issues, SCO (if you
haven't already heard too much), etc."

For those unfamiliar with Bruce Perens, here's his short bio from his web
site
(http://www.perens.com/)

Bruce Perens is a leader in the Free Software and Open Source community. He
is
creator of the Open Source Definition, the manifesto of the Open Source
movement in Software. He's founder or co-founder of the Open Source
Initiative, The Linux Standard Base, Software in the Public Interest, and
No-Code International. Perens released his first Free Software program,
Electric Fence, in 1987. He is creator of Busybox, which has spawned its own
development community and is part of most commercial devices using embedded
Linux.

Perens is series editor of the Bruce Perens' Open Source Series line of
books
with Prentice Hall PTR publishers. The books sell well in retail stores,
even
though their texts are released under an Open Source license. Perens is
Senior Research Scientist for Open Source with George Washington
University's
Cyber Security Policy Research Institute. Through his own research
organization, Perens has a $50,000/year grant to work 1/4 time on the patent
policy issues of standards organizations. He is an elected director of
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Perens previously spent two years with HP as Senior Global Strategist for
Linux and Open Source, and was president of Linux Capital Group, a venture
fund that specialized in Linux.

Perens spent 20 years in the computer graphic animation industry, 12 of them
at Pixar Animation Studios. He has a credit on the films A Bug's Life and
Toy
Story II.

*** PLEASE NOTE ***
We have moved the date of our October DTC meeting to accommodate his travel
schedule to October 7th.  In addition, we will not have a KISS session, so
the meeting will start at 7 pm.