perl IRC snippet

Tim Chambers timc+perl at divide.net
Mon Sep 29 16:53:16 CDT 2003

FWIW, here's the activity from last week. Hoping to encourage more list
members to join in.

<>< Tim

--> You are now talking on #perl
--- new topic by tbc: All things Perl, but expecially trying to
    nourish a gathering place for Perl Mongers
--> jopa joined
<jopa> ha
<jopa> ist just the two of us then
<tbc> Howdy!
<jopa> hi tim, I have been a watcher of the cos perl group for years
    now, not very active though
<jopa> i live in crestone now
<jopa> have you ever visited the perl group at freenode?
<jopa> its a great resource
*** tbc shakes his head
<tbc> Not to the resource comment. I just started using IRC this
    summer.
<tbc> It's a central tool for the HP IA64 Linux community.
<jopa> ic
<tbc> I also hang out at #hackingsociety here, and today I got the
    idea to ask jafo to host #perl.
<tbc> So what do you do in Crestone?
<jopa> well i do alot of perl web aplication programming in the winter
    and alot of playing in the summer
<jopa> its irc.freenode.com  #perl   well worth checking out
<jopa> hundreds of perl programmers
<jopa> and alot of experts
<jopa> doh
<jopa> irc.freenode.net that is
<tbc> For now, I'm limiting my IRC involvement to those communities
    with whom I interact in RL.
<jopa> ic
<jopa> well freenode is all open source channels
<jopa> and it has a wealth of talent there
<jopa> you name it
<jopa> #freebsd
<jopa> #mysql
<jopa> almost any open source group you would want
<jopa> its not like any of the BS irc servers, just programmers
<jopa> anyway, I gotta get to work
<jopa> ttyl
<tbc> 'k -- and thanks for the tip about freenode; I'm sure it'll come
    in handy
<ssmythe> heya
<ssmythe> Finally got online.  Thanks for the xchat reference Tim.  I
    looked at mIRC and they wanted $20 after 30 days.
*** jopa is using xchat as well, wow, last time i used mirc it was
    totally free, i guess they wan't donaro now
<tbc> I think that was the case for me, too. I only tried mirc for a
    day
<tbc> Hey jopa. I actually had a question about ftp.perl.org this
    afternoon and tried connecting to irc.freenode.com. I can't seem
    to do it through the HP firewall. I can get through to here,
    though. Any suggestions?
<jopa> hm
<jopa> It wouldn't suprise me at all if HP blocks port 6667, 6668
<jopa> I know the facility my dedi is on does
<jopa> they don't allow any traffic at all through their network on
    either of those ports
<jopa> try nmap and see if the ports are labled filtered
<jopa> well, actually, if you are here then that can't be the case
<jopa> oh, irc.freenode.net
<jopa> that should do it
<tbc> aha
<tbc> 'mornin' jopa
<jopa> mornin
<tbc> Hacking in Perl today?
<jopa> notyet
<jopa> I am sure I will get into some later
*** tbc nods
<tbc> I think I'll have time to explore Joey Hess' idea:
    http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5976
<jopa> wow, backup to cvs, i never would have thunk it
<jopa> hey, do you know a good way to make a global "conf.pl" include
    that keeps global config values for a whole project while using
    strict
<jopa> i used to do this before i started using strict
<jopa> now wether its right or not i put them in the top of the
    main.pl as "our $sqluser" etc, but this dosn't seem right to me
*** tbc pokes his head back into IRC after a morning of dealing with a
    hot issue
<tbc> Funny you should mention it. Are you familiar with Bundle::CPAN?
    I just hacked my local copy of one of its files yesterday:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN/Config.pm
<jopa> hmm, i will take a look
<jopa> did you hack config.pm and use it for a different script
    (ie. not for cpan module)
<tbc> No. But since you asked, I merely pointed you to an example of a
    module that does it.
<jopa> oic
--> ssmythe joined
<ssmythe> hi again
<jopa> hi
<ssmythe> thanks for putting this up.
<jopa> yea, that would be Tim's doing
<ssmythe> I was talking with Tim about it, and he suggested I also
    look at using dircproxy to get all the discussions on this channel
<jopa> i like it too
<jopa> could be good, though irc has a tendency to be more chatty then
    news groups
<ssmythe> agreed.  I really miss going to the lunches.  This is Steve
    Smythe.  I moved to California about 2 years ago after
    ChannelPoint went under.
<jopa> hi steve, i never actually made a lunch when i was in COS, I am
    4 hours away now in Crestone
<ssmythe> Cool.  Where you at now?  I'm at Docent (http://www.docent.com)
<jopa> nice, do they pay well?
<jopa> Crestone is a town near the sand dunes in CO
<ssmythe> yeah.  I was hurting pretty bad for a while after I was laid
    off.  I couldn't find anything serious for almost 6 weeks.  It was
    between Microsoft or Docent.
<ssmythe> jobs were slim pickins back then.
<jopa> I am wrestling with a dual pII 300 box i got for $100 right
    now, its a mule
<jopa> scsi hd i have never delt with booting to scsi devices
<tbc> Hiya, Steve!
<ssmythe> I'm doing builds and releases, CM, Perforce, and tools.
<ssmythe> Hi Tim
<ssmythe> hehe.  I'm running my webserver http://www.smythefamily.com
    on a 366MHz Celeron
<jopa> ;)
<jopa> this is nice, i hope more perl mongers get involved
<ssmythe> I've been getting into Ant a lot for build stuff.  I wrote
    an entire generic continuous integration build system using Ant
    and Perl.  It rocks.
<jopa> whats Ant?
<ssmythe> Ant ...  http://ant.apache.org/index.html It's a Java based
    build tool that does a lot and is cross-platform.
*** tbc puts his head down to start some long-running jobs; bbiab
<ssmythe> a lot of projects are switching to it since they have a lot
    of built in tasks like copying, ftp, jar, compiling files, etc.
<ssmythe> it's really nice.
<ssmythe> I prefer it over make since you don't need shells to do most
    of the work.
<jopa> looks good, if apache is doing it then it should be sold
<jopa> s/sold/solid/
<ssmythe> like most everything on the Apache/Jakarta front, it's all
    open source
<ssmythe> You hear about ActiveState?
<jopa> ye
<jopa> some new news about it?
<ssmythe> We'll see how Sophos keeps their hands off...
    http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Letter/
<ssmythe> They bought up ActiveState.  I hope they don't get too much
    into the whole ActivePerl world of things.
<jopa> ack
*** jopa is in hardware hell
<ssmythe> well, time to check on my Solaris Intel NFS server...  it
    died this morning.  I gotta bring it back to life...  :-)
<ssmythe> hardware keeps us busy, eh?  hehe ...  talk with you guys
    soon.
<jopa> good luck
<tbc> jopa ssmythe: I got an idea that might help build this channel
    to critical mass. I have all of the scrollback since I started
    this up. Do either of you mind if I forward the logs to our
    mailing list? (That goes for future chatter here, too.)
<jopa> fine with me
<jopa> the hard part is getting ppl used to irc
<ssmythe> I'm back
<ssmythe> not at all!  That's a great idea Tim
<ssmythe> maybe some automated process that captures and forwards to
    the list at periodic intervals
*** tbc doesn't want to spoil them :-)
<ssmythe> are there IRC clients in Perl that could do this?  :-)
<tbc> I'll bet there are, but I'm happy with xchat and dircproxy right
    now.
<tbc> I'll just write up an intro with this traffic to give the others
    a taste of what they're missing
<jopa> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=irc&mode=all
*** tbc gets diverted to Real Work again :-(
--> usepoe68 joined
<ssmythe> rot13 hello
<usepoe68> uryyb
<ssmythe> rot13 this is a rot13 test of POE
<usepoe68> guvf vf n ebg13 grfg bs CBR
<-- usepoe68 quit (Client closed connection)
--> usepoe120 joined
<ssmythe> rot13 more test
<usepoe120> zber grfg
<-- usepoe120 quit (Client closed connection)
<jopa> heh heh
<jopa> hey steve, you can create a new channel to test in
<jopa> \/join #test
<jopa> without the first backslash ofc
<ssmythe> thanks...  I'll test there.
<ssmythe> well, it looks like the test works pretty well...  I've got
    it logging the output of the channel to a file.
<ssmythe> I emailed the source to the group.
--> nealmcb joined
<ssmythe> heya Neal
--> pppmbot joined
<jopa> you got it working steve?
<ssmythe> yup.  It's recording this even now!
<jopa> nice
<ssmythe> It will autorespond to anyone saying anything to it...
<ssmythe> pppmbot hello
<pppmbot> Hello from pppmbot
<jopa> ppmbot tea?
<jopa> pppmbot tea?
<pppmbot> Hello from pppmbot
<nealmcb> pppmbot, am I speaking on a recorded line?
<nealmcb> pppmbot - am I speaking on a recorded line?
<pppmbot> Hello from pppmbot
<nealmcb> pppmbot - will anything I say be used as evidence against
    me? :-)
<pppmbot> Hello from pppmbot
<jopa> i guess pppmbot is a one answer for all kinda bot
<ssmythe> hehe.  Maybe I should add random responses?
<-- pppmbot quit (Client closed connection)
--> pppmbot joined
<ssmythe> pppmbot hello
<pppmbot> ssmythe... Hello from pppmbot
<-- pppmbot quit (Client closed connection)
--> pppmbot joined
<ssmythe> pppmbot hello
<pppmbot> ssmythe... From C:\*.* to shining C:\*.*
<ssmythe> pppmbot tell me a joke
<pppmbot> ssmythe... Life would be much easier if I had the source
    code.
<jopa> ha
<ssmythe> pppmbot tell me a joke
<pppmbot> ssmythe... Shh! Be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wuntime errors!
<ssmythe> hehe...  now it tells bad computer jokes
<jopa> lol
<ssmythe> hehe...  now it tells bad computer jokes
<ssmythe> pppmbot tell me a joke
<pppmbot> ssmythe... Megabyte: A nine course dinner.
<ssmythe> pppmbot tell me a joke
<pppmbot> ssmythe... Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
    interrupt-driven.
<ssmythe> bad bad bad....   hehe
<jopa> ha ha
<jopa> well, I am outta hardware hell, the box is back togetherm sigh
<ssmythe> mine too!  I had to run fsck twice on this silly drive.
<ssmythe> what was your box's problem?
<jopa> maybe i can get into some perl hackin now
<jopa> i got this used box, and was making it work right
<ssmythe> did you get the source code to pppmbot on the mailing list?
<jopa> its nice for an old timer
<jopa> i saw the email
<ssmythe> I have an old 200 MHz clunker in my cube as a web server...
    it barely has enough for just testing.
<jopa> i think i messed with the module a year or so ago
<jopa> i use a c++ app named bobot++ for my irc server
<ssmythe> cool
<ssmythe> what's the irc.community.tummy.com running on?
<jopa> not sure
<jopa> i just got here yesterday when Tims post came out on the list
<ssmythe> looks like it's in the welcome message...  Your host is
    irc.community.tummy.com, running version ngircd-0.6.1
    (i386/redhat/linux-gnu)
<jopa> ngircd, nevre heard of it
<jopa> i may have to check it
<tbc> AFAIK, we're on a RH system
<tbc> Kevin of KRUD fame is associated with tummy.com
<tbc> KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution: http://www.tummy.com/krud/
<tbc> They're excited about http://fedora.redhat.com/
<tbc> Oh, I forgot to say -- cool 'bot, Steve.
*** tbc talks to the 'bot
<tbc> pppmbot: would you like a cookie?
<tbc> pppmbot : would you like a cookie?
<pppmbot> tbc... I modem, but they grew back.
<tbc> heh
<jopa> heh
<jopa> pppmbot whats the time?
<pppmbot> jopa... One man's upload is another man's download
<jopa> bad humor, bah
<jopa> yup another linux distro
<jopa> not today
<tbc> Anyone know what OS Segway uses?
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03553.html
<jopa> M$
<tbc> jopa: seriously?
<jopa> nope
<jopa> sounds like it tho
<jopa> cpsc.gov does!
<tbc> No surprise. Hey -- check this out: "Microsoft Reliance
    Threatens National Security," Yahoo News from TechWeb yesterday:
    http://tinyurl.com/onr6 ; "A technology executive whose company
    does business with Microsoft Corp. has been forced out of his job
    after he helped write a cybersecurity report critical of the
    software giant, according to sources with knowledge of the
    situation." Washington Post today: http://tinyurl.com/ospb
<jopa> yea i saw that this am
<jopa> anyone with mission critical stuff on M$ is vain
<jopa> i use it for photoshop
<tbc> I have a hundred mile drive ahead of me. Probably won't be back
    online 'til Monday. See y'all later.