[Philadelphia-pm] GetOpt::Long::Descriptive or GetOpt::Simple?

Randall A Sindlinger rsindlin+pm at seas.upenn.edu
Wed May 11 14:21:45 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

I'd like to embed documentation into the options as I define them, similar to
the OptionParser in Python's optparse module.

In looking at CPAN; specifically,
http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Option_Parameter_Config_Processing
it seems like there are 2 good candidates
  Getopt::Long::Descriptive 	Rpdfp 	Getopt::Long with usage text and validation
and
  Getopt::Simple	 	MpdOo 	A simple-to-use interface to Getopt::Long

Getopt::Simple is flagged "Mature" in its DLSIP options [1], which seems like it
would be preferable to Getopt::Long::Descriptive, since it's only "Released" [2].

However, Getopt::Long::Descriptive looks much more concise, appears to have some
traction with Moose (which we're not using at all [yet]), and has 2 positive reviews.
So that would lead me toward choosing that one.

They both look actively developed/maintained.  Are there any other sources I should
be using to make a choice?

Thanks in advance,
-Randall

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dlsip?MpdOo