[pgh-pm] Any Win32 Perl GUI advice to be had?

Barrie Slaymaker barries at slaysys.com
Mon Feb 28 18:48:37 PST 2005

A bit of advice needed and possibly some paid Perl geekery for the right
chap. But first, ru-ru!

Background: We just got preliminary approval to do a Win32 Perl app to
download some medical data from a VxWorks-based medical device (a
dialysis). That's the easy part.

The hard part will be when NASA hires us to download from their two most
prominent VxWorks instances.

Um. No. Sorry.

Actually, the hard part is that the client just added some requirements
(CD burning and a report printing cabability) that start to get
complicated enough to want a simple GUI.

I'm defaulting to WxPerl at this point, though a Gtk2 app on Win32 might
rock; probably wrapping it in a PAR .exe built from ActiveState's latest
ouvre.

I've wrastled with PAR, done a wee bit of GUI programming (see xkbang on
my CPAN dir), but never both together, nor GUI on Win32. And it was a
while ago, so I'm out of the loop on this genre (GUI Win32 Perl PAR .exe
app).

So: do you have any good, bad, or ugly recommendations based on
recent-ish experience with a Win32 GUI app in Perl? Simplicity and
stability are paramount here, this is for field techs, not the general
public.

If you have experience that's recent and useful enough, I'd also like to
discuss funding a few hours to spin up one or three of my guys (and me,
if I have the time--I'm running full out these days).

Thanks,

Barrie

--
http://slaysys.com/