[pgh-pm] Any Win32 Perl GUI advice to be had?

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Mon Feb 28 19:08:20 PST 2005

Barrie Slaymaker wrote:
> So: do you have any good, bad, or ugly recommendations based on
> recent-ish experience with a Win32 GUI app in Perl? Simplicity and
> stability are paramount here, this is for field techs, not the general
> public.

Disclaimer: I am a die-hard Perl zealot, so don't flame me too bad for
saying this. :)

IMO, you should look into wxPython before making any decisions.  It just
seemed more mature when I compared it with wxPerl for a recent project I
was working on.  I believe Python also has better tools to compile to
Windows binaries, if that's something you need.  But maybe I was just
really impressed with the massive wxPython demo app. :)

wx is certainly the right choice though, and using the Perl version may
be just fine, too!  Both are just wrappers around the same library, so
as long as they both have a complete API everything may just work
exactly the same.  You could compare the memory footprint of a small
wxPerl app vs. a wxPython app.  I know a minimal hello world app in
wxPython eats up around 20MB.

--
Andy Grundman
www.mixdepot.net / www.hybridized.org