[Pdx-pm] TWiki as substitute for kwiki?

Randall Hansen randall at sonofhans.net
Tue Mar 27 22:44:35 PDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:11 PM, benh wrote:

> well... why not have a svn driven flat text system?

speaking from experience:  they're very attractive to vim-loving text
weenies, and a horrendous PITFA to everyone else.  i built a simple
system like this to manage the opensourcery web site.  we edit the
page content in wiki markup, then run a Makefile target to deploy
it.  when a page is requested it parses the wiki markup (sub-classing
kwiki, thanks to ingy) and jams it into a Template::Toolkit wrapper.

it's fast, easy, and lets us track everything in subversion.  i love
it.  at least a couple other people here do, too.  everyone else
thinks it's the spawn of satan and can't wait to replace it with
drupal. :)

editing text in anything other than vim seems like a criminal waste
of time to me, but i'm in the distinct minority.  many smart people i
like and respect have no patience for learning a Real editor, or even
wiki markup -- they want point-and-click formatting controls in a
browser-based UI.

a system that supported both of these modes would be sweet.  until
then, us vim-lovers IMHO should suck it up and use what our co-
workers like.