[Pdx-pm] April Meeting next week

Josh Heumann perl-pm at joshheumann.com
Mon Apr 4 13:37:35 PDT 2005

I haven't gotten any entries for shirts for this year.  I know there are
at least a couple of good designers out there.  Remember, we're looking
for two colors, and all the perlishness you can fit on a shirt.

April Meeting
April 13th, 2005 6:30pm at Free Geek, 1741 SE 10th Ave

Ruby on Rails by Lucas Carlson

Ruby on Rails (http://rubyonrails.org/) is a 9 month old web framework
that provides shortcuts to many aspects of web development. Many of you
have already heard of Ruby on Rails since a lot of people have been
proclaiming 10x increases in productivity recently. This presentation will
introduce you to the fundamentals of the framework by creating a simple
application from scratch. You will then learn some of the more advanced
features of Rails, like how to setup XML-RPC and SOAP API's for the
application and how easy it is to integrate Ajax features in forms. You
will also be exposed to some non-trivial Rails code from an existing
website (http://webcollaborator.com/) in order to judge how well Rails
holds up when implementing non-trivial concepts.

Knowledge of Ruby is optional, there will be a short crash course at the
beginning of the talk.

Lucas Carlson comes from a background of almost 8 years of PHP
development. He discovered Ruby on Rails for himself 6 months ago and has
been gainfully employed developing in Rails ever since. He has also made
contributions to the framework. For more information about Lucas, see