[Pdx-pm] Between MySQL and PostgreSQL I prefer...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Aug 13 13:42:15 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 11:16, Austin Schutz wrote:

> 	So you do get something in return for mysql's shortcomings. If I had
> a project where data integrity were critical in a transactional db, however,

It's a common mistake that MySQL doesn't support transactions; it does
if you use InnoDB or BDB tables instead of MyISAM.  For some reason,
some vendors only ship with MyISAM enabled; I don't know if there are
patent issues or what.

> I would definitely use something a little more bulletproof, and postgres is
> a good choice for people who don't want to fork over whatever is in their
> bank account to Oracle. I've used postgres before on a couple projects and
> it works pretty well, though it tends to be a little more bitchy about syntax
> and datatype conversion than mysql.

I've been told that it's far easier to set up replication between MySQL
servers than Postgres, although I've never tried to do either.

Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc