[Pdx-pm] Between MySQL and PostgreSQL I prefer...

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Fri Aug 13 13:16:24 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:44:46AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Josh> "Between MySQL and PostgreSQL I prefer..." is an attempt to see
> Josh> what we're using in the local perl community.  I know there are
> Josh> other db systems out there, but this is simply a
> Josh> PostgreSQL/MySQL debate.  As with all internet polls, this is
> Josh> strictly unscientific, but attempt to only vote once.
>
> Without so much as trying to pretend I'm not lobbying, be sure you
> read <http://www.wlug.org.nz/PostgresVsMysql> and the referenced links
> (especially <http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html>) before voting.

	We use mysql here to warehouse network stats, somewhat like mrtg.
Mysql is maybe two orders of magnitude faster than our oracle database
when it comes to dumping data to it, and data retrieval is also blazingly
fast, where we have maybe 30 concurrent connections.
	So you do get something in return for mysql's shortcomings. If I had
a project where data integrity were critical in a transactional db, however,
I would definitely use something a little more bulletproof, and postgres is
a good choice for people who don't want to fork over whatever is in their
bank account to Oracle. I've used postgres before on a couple projects and
it works pretty well, though it tends to be a little more bitchy about syntax
and datatype conversion than mysql.
	Some of the folks here also like db2. It is also bulletproof and IBM
apparently makes it accessibly cheap for those w/ IBM hardware.

	Basically I prefer whatever I can talk someone else into
maintaining. Thank heavens for DBAs. :-)

	Austin