[Pdx-pm] Perl executables...

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Thu May 22 00:29:30 CDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Chris Dawson wrote:

> I meant to say they can sue us with this contract.

Of course, they can sue you even if you don't have a contract. But the
crucial point (for the savvy business person) is what they could, at least
potentially, collect. For example, if you do $200,000,000 worth of damage
to their business, being able to sue you won't help them much if your
total assets aren't worth more than $20,000. In that case, they'd have to
go after some other target, such as ActiveState or Larry Wall.

> They cannot obviously sue ActiveState.

Perhaps you mean, "It is not obvious to them that they can sue
ActiveState". But of course they can. (Whether they can collect is another
matter. If the attorneys for ActiveState have done a good job, AS should
be well insulated from lawsuits.)

Not that any of this matters to pointy-haired bosses. But if they were a
little smarter, they'd rather get a Perl program in source form rather
than an opaque binary every time, even if they have to use some of those
extra brain cells to do the installation, or to hire a contractor to do
so.

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix