perl -e is acting funny in a chroot jail

Elmshauser, Erik erike at
Thu Jul 18 13:22:09 CDT 2002

> Do you have a /tmp in the jail?  Backrev versions of Perl (prior to
> 5.8) write a small file in /tmp to run the -e script.  So the error
> message perhaps is accurate... :)
> In 5.8, this was eliminated, because it can lead to a security hole.
Yeah, there was a /tmp there, but it was set to 755.  Setting it to 777
does not seem to have resolved the issue.
root at charon:/# chmod 777 tmp/
root at charon:/# ./usr/local/bin/perl -e 'exit'
Can't open perl script "-e": No such file or directory
Also, that error looks like it is trying to use '-e' as a filename, I'm
not sure, but I doubt that this is what perl would use for a temp file
Rev. Dr. Erik C Elmshauser D.D.
Head of I.T.
Pacific Benefits Group NW LLC
erike at
Phone  - 800.259.0455
Fax    - 800.662.0082
 There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
Those that can do binary arithmetic, and those that can't.