perl -e is acting funny in a chroot jail

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Jul 18 12:52:50 CDT 2002

>>>>> "Elmshauser," == Elmshauser, Erik <erike at pbgnw.com> writes:

Elmshauser,> I am working on setting up apache and mod_perl to run in a chroot jail.
Elmshauser,> I have done this in the past without a problem, but this time It's
Elmshauser,> acting up.  When I try to give it the -e flag it treats it like a file
Elmshauser,> name, not a flag.  Here is a little clip  from the shell:

Do you have a /tmp in the jail?  Backrev versions of Perl (prior to
5.8) write a small file in /tmp to run the -e script.  So the error
message perhaps is accurate... :)

In 5.8, this was eliminated, because it can lead to a security hole.

TIMTOWTDI