[PBP-pm] Class::Std alternative - Object::InsideOut

James Bence j_bence at mac.com
Tue Nov 22 06:47:05 PST 2005

Hi:
	I was browsing recently and ran across Object::InsideOut, which
supplies the functionality of Class::Std, plus it can be used in
threaded code and in 5.6.0 and later.
	It does work as advertised, using arrays instead of hashes for storage.
	It's a little bit more work to get class fields set up, as you have to
indicate which fields are mandatory (and I have already forgotten to do
that more than once), but along with the mandatory flag you can specify
required formats (e.g., must be a number).
	I mailed a patch to Damian to make Class::Std mostly work under 5.6.0;
there were two issues if I recall correctly, one involving variable
interpolation inside a variable to be used as a sprintf format string,
and the other involving the inheritance tree. The first made things
crash, and the second one you could live with if you knew about it. I
got an automated reply; I think Damian might be busy, to put it mildly
... if there is interest in the patch, I can post it here. The patch
doesn't help Class::Std to work under threads.

James